Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement

1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 2 months ago #119907

Hi all!

As the subject stated, I have a 1964 Lone Star Medallion with a rotten transom. Looking for advice on this project.

(Yes, I'm a Noob!)
Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 2 months ago #119912

WeatherEye,

WELCOME ABOARD.

IF I was doing it, I would use either 3 half-inch layers of MDO, laid in epoxy peanut butter OR 2 X 3/4" layers of the same.
(Such a transom, properly sealed with epoxy should outlast the hull.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120333

Thanks satx,

I had planned to use 2 layers of 3/4" MDO sealed with epoxy. Finally started the project yesterday. Drilled several buck rivets on both sides of the transom...apparently not enough to gain access yet to the rotten wood.

Going to hold off from further drilling until I'm certain how many more (and which ones) need to be removed to accomplish this task.

Have been hunting all over the Internet to find additional info...no luck yet.

Thanks for your suggestion.

WeatherEye aka Will

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120336

Pix would help

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120348

I'll post some tomorrow.

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120364

Pics...the 2048 size limit for pics is giving me fits. I have tried re-sizing but still something is not quite jake.

Please standby as I deal with these technical difficulties.

WeatherEye

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120510

Fingers crossed...hope this finally works.
Attachments:

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120511

Starboard hull...
Attachments:

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120512

Port Hull
Attachments:

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120513

Gutted interior...

Anybody have a pattern for the deck? Please PM me...thanks!
Attachments:

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120514

Stern
Attachments:

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120515

Ugly dent...
Attachments:

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120518

View from inside the boat...the rotted transom.

BTW...I found out exactly what I must do to gain access to replace. I'm going to have to drill about 100 or so buck rivets from the stern to the rear windshield support frame. Most of the rivets are along the gunwales.
Attachments:

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120519

Project underway...port side stern view of the gunwale. This is going to take awhile...
Attachments:

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120571

WeatherEye,

Do you need floorboard patterns??
(I think that I still have a full set.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120592

satx78247 wrote:

WeatherEye,

Do you need floorboard patterns??
(I think that I still have a full set.)

yours, satx

Yessir...I could sure use the floor patterns. BTW...did you ever find any seats for your Medallion? Or at least the configuration?

WeatherEye

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120601

WeatherEye,

The Medallion "went away", as I found a MUCH rarer TX-built boat. = It went to south LA to be redone as a fishing machine.

Send me your snail-mail address by PM & I'll try to remember where I put the envelope of floor patterns. - They are FULL-SIZE.
(I'll start looking for where that I "hid them" tonight.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120605

satx,

Thank you sir! I am not adept on Fiberglassics. Could not find PM...but I did update my profile to include what you need...should you find the patterns.

If you do not mind explaining to me...How do I PM??

Kind regards,
WeatherEye

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120624

go to his profile page, there are a couple of links for contacting him

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120776

Can you remove the splashwell without removing the gunnels? I rebuilt a transom using two pieces of marine ply encased in glass. I cut off the kick up on one side and could just get it into place.I put the cut off against the aluminum and slid in the next piece the opposite way with plenty of resin in between. I used a bunch of short screws to keep the boards clamped together while the resin set. I sealed the screw holes with resin when I pulled them. If I remember right I used 5200 to glue the first board to the aluminum, so it is not going to be fun to replace it. It held up for 18 years. One thing, don't put the wood all the way down into the bottom of it's slot in the transom and drill a couple of weep holes to let moisture drain from under the wood.

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120796

Unfortunately no. Not without tearing up the part of the splash guards...and possibly compromising the integrity of the structure. I'm okay with the removal of the gunwales. My transom is 1 piece and considering the maximum recommended outboard is a 90 HP...I would feel much more comfortable with a one piece. Besides...there is simply no way to peel back anything to gain access without drilling about 100 buck rivets.

It is what it is.

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120798

WeatherEye,

EXACTLY SO.
(Fwiw, she is coming to lunch tomorrow.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1964 Lone Star Medallion Transom Needs Replacement 8 years 1 month ago #120800

SATX,

Wonderful sir...I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7096 guests and one member online