Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
An opportunity for members of the FiberGlassics community to exchange thoughts and ideas with the Antique and Classic Boat Society.
The ACBS is committed to the preservation and restoration of all classic boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beaver Boat Company - was in Cape Girardeau,MO

Beaver Boat Company - was in Cape Girardeau,MO 6 months 3 weeks ago #131046

• kenl
  • kenl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am seeking any history of....etc. Beaver Boat Company once located in Cape Girardeau, MO. that manufactured the 17' "Classic Beaver Custom" Inboard ski boat. I am restoring one that was built in 1965. It has a 392 cu. in. Chrysler Hemi engine from a 1958 Chrysler Imperial. The engine was installed by Beaver Boat and Engine Company of Detroit, MI. There is no company information on Beaver Boat and Engine Company that I have been able to find online. There is one picture (see below) of a Classic Beaver Custom that I found on the old Fiberglassics site but the administrator has disabled write access. The other pic's are the one I am restoring. I will greatly appreciate any input on one or both companies or contact with anyone that had or still owns one of these boats.

TX, Ken

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Beaver Boat Company - was in Cape Girardeau,MO 2 months 1 week ago #133254

Ken,
My wife and I own the Beaver in your first picture. That was taken at the 2015 Chesapeake Bay Chapter annual ACBS boat show at St. Michaels. I too seek any information regarding these boats. I have had no luck so far. I did find an Olds engine from Beaver Boat and Engine Company supposedly built for racing. We have a 283 Chevy engine and now aluminum headers.
We purchased the boat in Holland, Michigan ~2012.

Beaver Boat Company - was in Cape Girardeau,MO 1 month 2 weeks ago #133795

• kenl
  • kenl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for your pic's and input. I haven't checked my Email for almost 4 weeks, my wife has been very ill. Your boat looks to be in excellent condition. Did you have to do much restoration on it? I have stripped mine to the hull and am starting cleanup in the bilge. Lots of grinding but it will be worth it. The quality of glass finish work was not to great but these boats are bullet proof. The bottom is at least 1-1/2" thick at 10 layers of ocean grade fiberglass weave. These boats probably didn't need stringers, they are so strong. I wanted to keep the HEMI but at 30+K to meet marine spec's. I went instead with a 360 cu in Chrysler. It is custom built by the individual that used to be the Chrysler engine fix it guru. He restores all types of marine engines but specializes in Chryslers. His job at Chrysler was to correct any engineering mistakes before a particular engine went into production. His suggestions and or physical modifications saved Chrysler mega millions of dollars. His business MURLEY'S MARINE is located in Fair Haven, MI just across the road from Lake St. Claire. He knew of Beaver Boat as a car engine to boat bolt-on conversion company. It is a miracle that this Beaver is till in existence. The HEMI had an open sparking brush generator, non-sealed starter, auto carb, and a non sealed distributor. Maybe our boats are the only two that didn't blowup? I am in the beginning stages of restoration. Cleaning up the bilge. Lots of grinding. The person in the pic's is my nephew. He is the LYMAN BOAT guru of the Mid West. His specialty is restoring all types of wooden boats and some fiberglass. His business is CUSTOM MARINE INC. in Sandusky, OH. I am in the process of trying to get some business records if they still exist for BEAVER BOAT and ENGINE COMPANY from the city of Detroit. Will let you know if I get any results.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Wanted Fleetform Runabout 14'
( / Wanted)

noimage
10-19-2017

mk 25 for sale