Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
An opportunity for members of the FiberGlassics community to exchange thoughts and ideas with the Antique and Classic Boat Society.
The ACBS is committed to the preservation and restoration of all classic boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New issue of Rudder - lots of fiberglass

New issue of Rudder - lots of fiberglass 2 years 1 month ago #121668

• davnau6345
  • davnau6345's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Just got the latest issue of Rudder, the quarterly member publication from ACBS.

It has a number of letters to the editor in response to the letters in the last issue regarding non-wood boats and the 2014 change in classifications. The two letters from that previous issue showed significant concern about having fiberglass boats, particularly those from the new "Late Classic" classification, "taking over" ACBS boat shows.

This current issue has a number of letters in response, all showing support for fiberglass (and aluminum) boats in ACBS, even the ones in the "Late Classic" classification (1976-1991 for this year - 25 years back).

There were also, for the first time I can remember, not one, not two, but three articles on non-wood boats. The first highlighted the Glastron Carlsons, the second was regarding the restoration of a Supra competition ski boat, and the third was about a member and their history with a number of non-wood boats. The three are all part of the new section of the magazine called "Beyond Wood".

Things continue to evolve, but it is clear that classic fiberglass and aluminum boats are here to stay as a part of ACBS. If you are a member, take a look when you get the issue. If not, I'm going to try to have the issue available online on the public side of the ACBS web site so all can read it. If that happens, I'll post the link here so all those interested can go look at it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Steering Helm
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
06-21-2018

1972 Thunderbird 17 foot Outboard model with trailer
( / Boats)